Friday, October 23, 2009

FNCE Day 2; Omega Updates

To those of you who commented on my post from today, it WAS a duplicate post :) I realized I had not updated the date and it wasn't showing up when I opened my blog, so I re-posted it. Sorry for the confusion! To update you on my hard drive, it's officially gone and I have had it replaced now. I am still about 5 days behind since it had all of my documents for the company we are launching next week, therefore I have yet to read anyone's blogs and I feel so bad. I am just a mess right now, PLEASE forgive me! Again, I am still drawing the winners of the giveaway tonight, and I will post about it tomorrow. Thank goodness I had already uploaded all of my pics from the week/weekend before my computer started to hate me, so this post will take you through FNCE day 2!

Free Breakfast!

For breakfast on the second day my friend Fatinah and I decided to eat some of our freebies, so an apple with Barney Butter was perfect! I had never tried Barney Butter and let me tell you, it's AWESOME! It tastes like peanut butter, but it's made with almonds. This is good for me because I know almond butter is a bit healthier, but I like the taste of peanut butter better.




We walked into the expo on day two and I went right to the Smart Balance booth to complain to them about their FISHY peanut butter. Guess what?? This (below) is their new reformulated peanut butter! I tasted it and it was FISH TASTE FREE!! I was so excited, people probably thought I was crazy. Notice what it says on the front, "Rich Roasted". This is new, so keep your eyes peeled.

Seminar #3
Omega Fats, The Latest Research


- Research now indicates that an increased intake of omega-6 fatty acids (chicken, dressings, corn oil) DOES NOT lead to more inflammation, and it in fact reduces the risk of heart disease.

- An increased intake of omega-6 fatty acids also decreases IL-6, an inflammatory compound in the body.

- ANOTHER update from one of my posts; Do you choose wild salmon because you think it's got more omega-3 fats? Well if you do, you should stop! Why? There is actually MORE omega-3 in FARMED salmon! And, it's cheaper :)

- For those of you who take a flaxseed supplement or choose to eat walnuts and other sources of ALA (an omega-3 fatty acid) instead of fish or fish oil, you should know that it has been shown to be VERY POORLY converted to DHA and EPA.

Ok, back to the expo. LARABAR!!! Check it out, they were just sitting there on the table for us to grab. They weren't the full sizes, obviously, but the small sizes are just as good.

I've heard a lot about these VitaTops. I grabbed a few of them and I thought they were Ok. Not what I expected though, sort of dry in my opinion.

Puffins! Many of you were interested in this cereal. I asked the lady if I could have a coupon and she was so rude, she said; "Do you EAT this cereal?!". I was like, "umm, yeah, or why else would I want a coupon?"

Thank goodness for these eggs, as I was on sugar overload with all the juice and bar samples! Eggs on a stick are pretty fun, you should try them sometime.


And of course sitting in a plastic egg is just as fun. I look like a moron.



Kettle Cuisine had a pot of about 6 different types of soups for us to sample. I tried the carrot and butternut squash soup. It was delicious.


The Beef Council was there also. This little taste was just what I needed. Healthy, right? An egg and some beef! haha


Another favorite in the blog world, Cabot cheese!

Ok I've got to get back to work now. All work, no play. Sorry this post was sort of "to the point and boring", but I hope you learned some things. I am so excited to get back to regular posting and reading everyone's blogs. I hope you all understand why I have not been commenting on your blogs lately, I am just so behind. Stay tuned for the announcement of my giveaway tomorrow morning! I would also like to give a special shout out to;

LESLIE AT DREAM DINNERS in Seattle, Washington. She was kind enough to supply me with two awesome bags, one for me and one for my giveaway! One of the lucky winners will receive it one, they are great.

Thanks for reading everyone, and of course, thanks for being patient with me and being loyal to my blog :) You are all so great!

16 comments :

  1. Looks like such a great event! Yums I love puffins!

    I would have sat in the egg too ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there!!

    I have to say that I think you're crazy for preferring peanut over almond butter, but hey, more for me in the world! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That egg chair is too funny!

    Good luck with all your work and everything you have to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Gina, please try not to worry... *hugs* Loosing all your data is just terrible! You must be so frazzled and frustrated! I hope everything quiets down for you soon... I hope you get to have a well-deserved, relaxing weekend back at home! :-)

    I loved every bit of the day 2 tour! Barney butter sounds SO delicious! The picture of you sitting in the egg is awesome! :-) I definitely would have taken a picture in the egg too... :-)

    I'm so excited to learn about the Omega 6 info, and I'm SO psyched that farmed salmon has more Omega 3! Yay for healthier and more economical! :-) Thank you for the awesome info!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you, I like Peanut Butter better. I will have to try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gina,
    Giant Hugs to You! Have you tried restoring the data on your hard drive? Is the data indeed gone forever? :-(

    That is some interesting research about Omega fats. I was surprised by the walnut finding. I eat walnuts, a lot of it too, because I know I don't enough fish in my diet. Hmmm....

    Kinda off topic but related -- Do you know whether one is suppose to grind the flaxseeds or eat them whole? Did you learn anything about flaxseeds at the event?

    Welcome Back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so funny about the Smart Balance! I've never tried it, but I've heard so much about it tasting fishy - did they say they've got alot of complaints about that??! Why the 'fishy' taste!

    And I agree with a post above - have you tried Almond or Cashew Butter?? I used to go through jars of PB in like 3-4 days, I neverrrrr thought I'd be able to stop it - so I tried almond butter - thinking I wouldn't like it as much and so get over my Nut Butter addiction...yeah, well , not turns out I liked Almond even more and so am still addicted...I give up at this point :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am SO glad to hear that about the new Smart Balance PB! They needed a reformulated product! Badly!

    Sad that you didn't LOVE VitaTops. I think they're incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. whoa, free samples galore!! i'm not a big fan of vitatops either....the eggs on a stick do look fun though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eggs on a stick! So fun! But too bad they are hard-boiled. Gina, I've MISSED YOU!!! I haven't heard from you and was wondering what was up! But glad to see you are enjoying yourself! relax, and just have fun!:D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow you're introducing me to so many new brands and foods - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh so sorry Gina to know that your hard drive is in total loss (just like my car).... I don't know what I'd do if that happen to me. I'm going to make a copy of all my documents today!
    very interesting facts about omega 6.. I was buying wild salmon instead of farmed ... good to know that farmed has its benefits too.
    I'm so jealous of you trying all those products.... can't wait to read your reviews on them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Computer issues are the WORST! Hang in there...at least this didn't happen while you were knee-deep in your thesis, right?

    About the salmon...that's good to know that there are benefits for the farmed stuff, but I've been buying wild salmon (well, canned mostly LOL) because I thought it was the better choice for the planet, not necessarily for me. I thought Atlantic anything wasn't great, and wild Alaskan was the best choice. I get confused about that stuff though so I could be wrong, and I know there's more than one reason to make a purchase decision.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the eggs on a stick! Looks like a fun day of sampling! I would have cleaned out the folks at the Lara bar table!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Massachusetts Institute of Technology as well as Japanese and Asian studies at Harvard University.

    ReplyDelete