Monday, June 21, 2010

Who Is The Candid RD?!

Hello readers! Welcome to my blog. My name is Gina and I'm a Registered Dietitian from Columbus, Ohio. I graduated from Miami University with a Bachelor's degree in Dietetics, then graduated from The Ohio State University with a Master's degree in Human Nutrition. I currently work full time as a university dietitian, after three years working as a supermarket dietitian (very different jobs, but also very rewarding and challenging in the best ways possible).

A couple years ago my husband (then my fiance) and I moved into a new house, which we've been frantically trying to decorate and make into "our home" ever since.  It's tough owning a home, but the rewards are worth every penny.

Nick and I recently got married in Bald Head Island, North Carolina.   Planning a destination wedding?  I recommend Bald Head Island.  It was the best 5 days of my life!


Nick and I are BIG Ohio State fans. Here we are at the National Championship game in 2007. This was before we got our butts kicked by some nasty team down south.

I started this blog in March of 2009, and since then Nick and I have gotten used to taking pictures of just about anything that involves food, or anything even remotely interesting. Nick is even used to holding food up to me when he's driving. I have to be candid and capture even the weak fast food moments!

You know what they say, dating makes you gain weight. In my case it was a good thing. I had an eating disorder from my junior year in high school, through my junior year in college. It was never life threatening (or at least never bad enough to be hospitalized, but I guess you could argue it was life-threatening), however I restricted my fat intake enough for there to be lasting effects, both physical and emotional. Even though I was healed by the time I met Nick, over 8 years ago, I still had some disordered eating tendencies and he helped me put on a much needed 10 pounds and to finally feel amazing about my body, and myself.

I know a lot about nutrition and I always try to practice what I preach, which means eating healthy about 90% of the time, and enjoying an indulgence at least once a day (for me it's homemade ice cream, Lindt's dark chocolate, and sometimes a really good beer!). Get used to seeing a lot of this on my blog:

We may be slightly addicted to ice cream (I try to make it lower in sugar and fat, since we eat it so often), and I love to make crazy flavors with our ice cream maker (see my dessert section for all the fun flavors).

Although we love ice cream, our new obsession is the slow-cooker.  I can't stop using it!  It's just so easy, and everything turns out so delicious (check out my slow-cooker recipe section!).

Frozen chicken in the slow cooker, with lots of BBQ and other seasonings.

5 hours later...... VOILA!

You'll also notice that I talk a lot about  "low FODMAPs" foods.  This is because I have been following a special low FODMAPs diet (for IBS) for about 5 years now.  It's changed my life.

Life is a journey, and a fun one at that. I like to try to live like a child, and laugh as much as possible. I like to live by a child's food philosophy as well; eat when you are hungry, and don't eat when you are not. In other words, be an intuitive eater. At the same time, listen to what your mother always told you and "Keep your choices varied, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, and choose sweets and alcohol in moderation!!" (my mom truly used to say stuff like that).  What's moderation, exactly?  Good question.  I try to eat healthy about 90% of the time, and the other 10% I splurge.  That's my "moderation", and it seems to work for me!

This is who I learn from, just as much as he learns from me (I hope). He's Joe, my 17 year old brother And the coolest teen in America (yes, this picture is a couple years old, but he looks the same, just a bit taller now!)

This blog is my outlet for sharing my favorite healthy (mostly...) recipes and food creations, as well as my opinions and thoughts on nutrition, food, and health.

Thanks for stopping by!

See more of me on Twitter (@CandidRD) Facebook  (The Candid RD) Instagram (TheCandidRD) and Pinterest (The Candid RD (Gina Casagrande)


  1. I am enjoying your blog and I am passing along 'The Fabulous SUGAR DOLL Blogger Award' to you! The "rules" 10 things about yourself that your readers may not know and "give" the award to other bloggers (I've seen anywhere from 3 to 5 nominees - I did 5!)

  2. I love it, Gina! Congrats again on your new job! Tuesday will be an exciting day for you!! :) I can't wait to hear all about it!

  3. nice with thanks.

  4. registration assistance.

  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

  6. We totally need to be BFFs so I can absorb every bit of your knowledge. :)

  7. nice to meet with you Gina. Your blog is so genuine and loved reading some of your posts. Looking forward for more :)