Thursday, August 9, 2012

Chia in My Yogurt, and Another Chia "Pudding"


I have attempted to sample chia "puddings" to guests and team members where I work, and I find that about 50% of the people love them, and then 50% hate them (and when they hate them, they really hate them!). I think there are three things that prevent people from enjoying chia "puddings";

1)
The texture. For some people who are sensitive to weird textures, chia puddings are a not go. 2) The appearance. Chia seeds are dark and when they turn to gel they look kind of ugly (ok, really ugly) and that's a turn off for some people.
3) Chia seeds are very bland, and you need to add a lot of flavor to your puddings in order to get a good taste. As a dietitian I try not to add too much sugar, but for some people that's no bueno. Sorry!


I'm not sure where I saw this recipe, originally, but I'm almost positive it was on Teri's blog. I liked it right away because it called for tahini, and I'm always looking for new ways to use tahini (ways that don't involved chickpeas!)

Tahini and Chia Pudding
(Makes 2 servings)

1/4 cup chia seeds
3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 T tahini
1/2 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt
Fruit to add for toppings (frozen berries, banana, etc.)

Mix all ingredients together and chill for 30 minutes. Serve with fruit (bananas work really well, and I also enjoyed it with frozen berries)



This definitely had a different taste. I liked it a lot, especially considering the nutrition facts for one serving;
Look at all of that fiber! Yes, this is high in fat, but let's not forget tahini and chia seeds both offer the beneficial polyunsaturated fatty acids (and chia provides omega-3). This would make a great breakfast, topped with some fruit, or even a nice hearty snack. It's very filling.



And before I end my chia posts for a while (I think I'm all chia'd-out) I have one more chia creation to share! I talked to a customer at work the other day who told me something fun that she does with chia. She said she adds the seeds to a bit of juice and once the seeds and juice have sat in the fridge for a while, and the seeds have turned the juice into a jell-like consistency, she mixes it into Greek yogurt. I loved this idea, so I tried it.


This is something I will do often, as it adds the prefect amount of sweetness to plain Greek yogurt (plus some vitamin C, fiber, and omega-3).

Ingredients

1 T chia seeds
3 T juice (I used 100% pomegranate juice)
(**You can also use a low calorie juice, such as V8 Light **)
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt

Directions
Let the chia + juice sit in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
Add the chia/juice combination to your yogurt, and mix well.




Question: Go ahead, tell me the craziest thing you've done with chia! If you haven't tried it, do you think you will?

Any fun weekend plans? I actually have tomorrow off because my cousin is getting married. I'm so happy for her!


Pin It

8 comments :

  1. I don't think I've done anything "crazy" with chia seeds, but I do <3 them and I like this recipe as I'm trying to eliminate dairy and grains as much as I can, and what I usually mix them with is plain Greek yogurt or oats! Going to check supermarket for tahini today... :) thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a huge fan of chia pudding...but I have made jam out of it! I can totally get behind the chia in juice for yogurt---I wonder how the jam would be in there!
    Here's the link in case you want to check it out: http://www.thrive-style.com/2011/03/do-you-go-back-for-more-because-a-its-awesome-or-b-its-awesome-for-you/

    I could never get Joe to try chia, but he tried the jam with sunbutter and loved it. Maybe a new and less weird texture way to introduce chia to your clients?

    Thanks for sharing this---I think making the chia prettier with the juice might be just the trick people need to like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never used chia! Think I need to though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the tahini/chia combo so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this post is so timely! I've been suffering constipation for almost a week, and I don't know what else to try. Chia has a lot of fiber, i'll definitely give it a try now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teri's Blog....I know her! :) Thanks for the shout out friend!
    Yes that pudding is more of an acquired taste, right??
    I made jam out of it similar to the juice...using frozen fruit and chia, turns out nice.
    Have fun at the wedding...always a good time a those!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about chia being a love/hate thing for most people. I am a lover, and this pudding with tahini i is something I must try-love the fiber content! I also love the chia/juice and yogurt combo, so definitely will try that as well. Weekend plans...kids baseball and softball games today, then, fingers crossed, a relaxing Sunday. Have fun at the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay! I made the first recipe (had to substitute rum extract for vanilla, as my cupboard was bare)...and it was okay. Not delicious, not horrible, but something I can eat (I'm on the Paleo Whole 30 at the moment so this was perfect)...I did load it up with cinnamon. I think I will try it again with vanilla extract and maybe some blueberries -- it would be great to make a batch and keep it in the refrig for breakfast. I will say this : I ate it all and I didn't eat again for nearly EIGHT HOURS, I was THAT full from it. So definitely a recipe I will use again and experiment with! Thx!

    ReplyDelete