Friday, July 19, 2013

Sweet and Crunchy Millet and Oat Granola (low FODMAPs Friday!)


Looking for a new favorite whole grain?  I've found one for you; millet.  Not only is it a whole grain, but it's gluten free (you know, in case that's important for you).  Although millet may not have all the amazing qualities of a few of the other whole grains with which I've experimented (amaranth, teff, and quinoa as of lately), it's still worthy of the World's Healthiest Foods website. Check out all the benefits millet has to offer!  And if you don't want to read, let me tell you briefly; 1-cup cooked millet contains a good source or thiamin and niacin, as well as zinc, manganese and copper (all essential minerals) and lignans (which may be protective against hormone-dependent cancers such as breast and prostate cancer).  And while I still haven't tried it in any way other than baked in granola, you can find some other great millet recipes on Pinterest (it's quite versatile, like so many other whole grains).


So, this is what it looks like in its raw state.....





And this is what it looks like right before it gets baked, along with some old fashioned oats (you have those in your pantry, right!?).




And this is what it looks like in the final product that I'll be sharing with you today.  This granola is crunchy, sweet (but not too sweet) and filling.  What more could you ask for?!  The only issue that I've found with all these tiny grains and seeds (amaranth, millet, chia to name a few) is that you really need to make sure to look at your teeth in the mirror before you leave for work.  I was once at work for a full two hours before I realized I had a millet grain stuck in my teeth (along with a chia seed). Thanks for telling me everyone, I really appreciate it ;)




Sweet and Crunchy Millet and Oat Granola
Modified from a recipe found on www.GoldenPraireInc.com
Gluten Free and Low FODMAPs
Serves: 8

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups rolled oats (use a gluten free variety if needed)
1/2 cup uncooked millet
1/3 cup maple syrup (or honey)**
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 Tbsp. water
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
1 Tbsp. chia seeds
1 Tbsp. sesame seeds

Directions
Preheat oven to 250 degrees.  Place rolled oats and millet on baking sheet.  Roast for 1 hour.  In a small pan, melt syrup, peanut butter, and water together over low heat (or use a microwave-safe bowl).  In a large bowl toss the roasted oats and millet with the seeds and add the melted peanut butter mixture until completely coated.  Spread on an un-greased baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.  Stir once or twice during baking. Cool completely and store in an airtight container

**NOTE:  If you are following a low FODMAPs diet use maple syrup instead of honey.


Estimated Nutrition Facts for 1/8th of recipe
Source: CalorieCount.com
Nutrition Highlights:  Good source of fiber, iron, an protein. Loaded with healthy promoting unsaturated fatty acids, as well as (not seen on the label) magnesium and vitamin E.

I actually made this with a version of maple syrup that used half stevia, therefore it was less calories.  You could find this and other similar products online, if you're interested (the nutrition reflect regular maple syrup). This granola was in a word "Delicious".  You could also add dried fruit at the end (after baking) if you'd like.  I don't really dig dried fruit though, so of course I didn't choose to do this.


  
Perfect little mid-afternoon snack.




Perfect topping for my Greek yogurt and frozen blueberry breakfast.




Question:  Have you ever cooked with millet?

Thanks for reading!

The Candid Rd

11 comments :

  1. Wow this looks amazing! I've never tried millet but it makes this granola lso unique, will be making this asap :) Oh and what is the deal with people not telling you when you have stuff in your teeth...I had chia seeds in mine the other day and no one said a word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, that looks tasty. I love trying new grains!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm-MM! I've had a bag of millet in our pantry for a few months now but haven't tried it. Your granola recipe is a great way to use it for the first time! And don't worry - you're not the only one to go around with stuff in your teeth. Sometimes I look like I've flossed my teeth with leafy greens or mango strings :)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought some millet but haven't cooked it yet. A vegan restaurant that we go to serves a delicious millet salad with dates and fennel that is out of this world. I want to try and duplicate it at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound delicious. Dates and fennel are two of my favorite things....I can't imagine them being combined, YUM!

      Delete
  5. I have my eye out for a good, low-sugar granola recipe and I think this deserves a spot in my bookmarks! I've used millet a few times and like it, though I think I have a tendency to undercook it since it always winds up crunchy. I like a recipe where it's INTENDED to be like that - I can't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I like your thinking!! Glad I could help ;) Good luck. And, enjoy!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I also wanted to let you know that I featured this post in my blog's Weekend Wrap-Up - thanks again for the great recipe! I've included a link to the post in case you're interested:

      http://floptimism.blogspot.com/2013/07/weekend-wrap-up-short-sweet.html

      Delete
  6. I grew up eating millet, and I swear at the time, no one had a clue what it was. It's starting to gain traction, but still hasn't reached quinoa status. Love its use in this granola!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay-how fun we both made granola! Yours looks delicious, and great idea to use millet! I have used it before, but it's been awhile since I've cooked with it. For my first batch of homemade granola, I wanted to go simple, but now that I know how easy it is, I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot more granola experimenting! Hope you have a fabulous week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually have some millet I found in the pantry and it's soaking in the fridge right now. Love your granola!

    ReplyDelete