Monday, September 16, 2013

Curried Zucchini and Couscous



Do you ever read a recipe and say to yourself "no, this isn't good enough, I can make it better!".  I do. Although maybe my "better" is different from other people's "better".  I typically don't add more cheese, salt, or fat in order to make something taste "better", instead I try to add something healthy and tasty, such as in the case of today's recipe.  The original recipe called for slivered almonds, toasted, and only 1/4th cup.  I love almonds in salad, so I used sliced almonds (I prefer the taste) and doubled the amount. Simple.  In my opinion more sliced almonds made this dish better (I also added a couple more twists from my fresh ground pepper mill).




Ok, now I really think I'm telling the truth when I say this is the last zucchini recipe of the season (well, the last zucchini-focused recipe. I do still use zucchini in the fall and winter because I love it so! In fact, it may just show up again as a "side-note" in a recipe next week) We're moving on to bigger and better things soon; butternut squash and pumpkin.  Be prepared, I do have a slight addiction to both (and of course we have a million butternut, so as you will soon find out they have been put to good and tasty use).  But until then, it's still summer.

Curried Zucchini and Carrots
Source: EatingWell.com
Serves 4

Ingredients
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
3 medium zucchini, diced
1/4 cup finely chopped onion **
1 cup water
1 Tbsp. lime juice
1 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
2/3 cup whole-wheat couscous **
1 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted **

** NOTE: If you are following a low FODMAPs diet, omit the onion and replace the flavor by using a Tuscan extra virgin olive oil.  Also be aware that almonds contain FODMAPs, but the amount in this recipe shouldn't cause problems.  If you are really sensitive to the FODMAPs in wheat (or if you follow a gluten-free diet), use quinoa instead.  However, most people should be able to handle the small amount of actual wheat you get in one serving of this recipe.


Directions

1.  Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add zucchini and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, about 3 minutes.  Transfer to a large bowl.

2.  Add water, lime juice, curry, cumin, salt and pepper to the pan and bring to a boil.  Stir in couscous. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes.  Fluff with a fork.

3.  Add the couscous and carrot to the bowl with the zucchini; stir to combine.  Serve topped with almonds.



Instagram

This salad was the perfect ending to an amazing summer.  Nick and I enjoyed it with some chicken from the grill, then had leftovers in our lunches for a couple days (the recipe made four servings, but these servings were large, so keep that in mind when you see the calorie number listed below!). 
Estimated Nutrition Facts for 1/4th of dish
Source: CalorieCount.com

Nutrition Highlights:  Excellent source of fiber, vitamin A and vitamin C.  Good source of protein.



I don't know about you, but I'm ready for fall now, seriously, bring it on (it's still really on and off hot and cold here in Ohio, but I'm already starting to live and think like it's fall....squash, pumpkins, hot soups, if I wish it, it will come).  The mornings are already reminding me of cold days at the bus stop when I was a kid.  And of course since football season is three weeks in (GO BUCKS!) it's already fall in my opinion.  Thanks for reading, and enjoy your Monday!

The Candid Rd


1 comment :

  1. Does this mean you've made a dent in your enormous zucchini supply? ;) Love the addition of more almonds here, and curry is so delicious with carrot and couscous - yum!

    Have a great week, Gina!

    ReplyDelete