Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A Tasty Trail Mix for Your Mid-Day Snack (and craving!)



Do you ever buy trail mixes at the grocery store? I don't. There are two reasons why; first, I'm too cheap, and second, it's hard to find one that isn't loaded with extra sugar and that I actually enjoy! For those reasons, I just buy the ingredients separately and make my own (how much easier can it get them throwing a bunch of ingredients together in a bag?!).

Every day in my lunch I pack some homemade granola to eat with my yogurt, and some type of other crunchy/sweet/salty snack. I like my snacks to have the following qualities;

  • Protein (the more the better!)
  • Whole grains
  • Healthy fats

Here is my latest creation;




Gina's Trail Mix
(Makes 6 servings)

4 cups popcorn (I pop mine on the stove)
2 cups plain Cheerios
1 cup almonds
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup dried fruit (of any kind, preferably no sugar-added)



I don't eat a lot of dried fruit, because they contain FODMAPs, but I can handle a little at a time.  Also, almonds contain FODMAPs so you'll need to watch your intake of those, if you are following a low FODMAPs diet (or perhaps replace the almonds with walnuts).  Lately I've been eating goji berries, because Dr. Oz says they will prevent cancer and wrinkles (haha, jk). You can read more about the potential benefits of goji berries here, but to be honest I just like them because they are different from the normal raisins and craisins.

Check out the nutrition facts for a popular brand of dried goji berries (from CalorieCount.com)

Good source of fiber, and iron

Excellent source of vitamin A (Beta Carotene), and vitamin C

Almost a full cup's worth of fruit (1/2 cup dried fruit would make 1 cup)


The goji berries are the little red things. They don't taste too great on their own, but mixed in this trail mix they are pretty tasty. They are chewy and somewhat tart, but unlike cranberries they aren't normally loaded with added sugars.


Estimated Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1/6th of Trail Mix


QUESTION: What's your favorite trail mix combination? Do you eat goji berries? Any fun weekend plans? Nick and I are returning to THURMAN'S on Sunday with some friends!! I can't wait!


16 comments :

  1. my fave is yours.
    Im stealing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never buy trail mix either. I still remember you eating trail mix or popcorn in the grad room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love making my own trail mix but never thought to add popcorn! genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love the idea of adding popcorn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had goji berries but I've heard that they're not great on their own. The trail mix sounds great! Of course Mark buys the sugar-packed stuff from where ever, but I've never thought to make it at home (duh). Have fun at Thurman's...I'm jealous! It was SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Custom trail mix is the best!! My favorite is almonds, cashews, raisins, and dried/chopped dates.
    Joe's O's is one of my favorite cereals too =)
    Love that your husband said an Elf quote as your were reading my post... haha!! We were definitely on the same wavelength =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't usually like trail mix but I think I like yours, specially with popcorns and cherrios! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, what a great sounding combo! I love the idea of adding popcorn...and chocolate chip, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh this looks great! I love popcorn and chocolate together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yea, I never buy trailmixes! Like you said, either TOO expensive for a teeny bag OR loaded with sugar or even hydrogenated oils! I don't typically make them on my own either. Not sure why bc the looks of yours is tasty!
    I love goji berries too! I've been adding them to my oatmeal and such for the past few months. They aren't great on their own but like you said, it's something different and anti-wrinkle? I didn't know that! Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like pistachios and dried apricots together or almonds and banana chips...that is usually my mix from the bulk sections!! :)
    Popcorn I just love...it tops my favorite food list every time!!
    Have a super fun weekend..cant wait to see picks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe I've never thought to add popcorn to my trail mix-great addition, and I think my kids would love this too! We are going skiing next week, so I'm going to make a batch to take with us. I like golden berries in my trail mix, or dried apricots, and definitely a little bit of chocolate :-) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your blog! So much great information, I have a lot to learn and I plan to try and read my way through it.

    I love the Organic Pesticide post, I tried a less-involved mix of cayenne and garlic once, with so-so results. Will have to try your brew! I am itching to start some seeds soon, so I love reading gardening stuff this time of year.

    Hope Thurman's was good! I am cooking up lots of cheese and non-vegan food before Wednesday, I am not convinced I can do the vegan bit!

    We'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the sweet-crunchy-salty combo. We eat a lot of trail mix in my house. :) Now I want some.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post is a great resource for so many blog things. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete