Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Chocolate, Almond, and Dried Plum No-Bake Cookie Bites

I was perusing The Lean Green Bean's blog one day and came across a recipe for no-bake cookies that caught my eye. I'm a sucker for no-bake cookies (let's face it, I'm a sucker for anything that combines peanut butter or almond butter and chocolate). On my day off a couple weeks ago I decided to make them, but I didn't want to spend $5 on dried cherries, so I used the dried plums I already had (which served as a double win for me because that meant Nick wouldn't touch them, muahaha).

Chocolate, Almond, and Dried Plum No-Bake Cookie Bites
(Adapted from a recipe from The Lean Green Bean)

Makes 16

Ingredients

1.5 cups oats (gluten free if you want)
1/2 cup dried plums, chopped
1/2 cup almond butter
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
2 T chia seeds

Don't like almond butter? Use peanut butter, cashew butter, or sunflower butter.
Don't like dried plums? Use cranberries, cherries, or raisins
Don't like chocolate? Well then, you're crazy :)
Want these to be vegan? Use carob chips



Directions
Combine the oats, chia, and dried plums in a medium bowl. Mix to combine.

In a small saucepan, melt together the almond butter and chocolate. Mix to combine.

Add the melted almond butter and chocolate to the dried ingredients. Mix to combine.

Drop about 16 cookies/bites on a cookie sheet. Put in freezer for about 15 minutes, or longer (until they start to get hard).

ENJOY!

Note: These can be stored in the fridge for about two weeks, or the freezer for....ever!


I don't know what it is about these, but they are addicting and I can't stop eating them. They might be a replacement for my old favorite homemade granola recipe.....I haven't decided yet. I keep them in my freezer at all times, and pretty much nibble on them through the day.



Estimated Nutrition Facts

(Serving Size: 1/16th of recipe)

Can you beat a snack that is less than 100 calories, contains basically zero sodium, plus chocolate, and provides close to 2 grams of fiber? Yes, you probably can, but still...the stats are pretty great. You can make this snack even more filling and nutrient-packed by eating it with a cup of almond breeze or even crumbled in some plain Greek yogurt.


QUESTION:
What do you crave in the middle of a long day?! I tend to crave salty snacks like salted cashews on some days and sweet snacks (like these no-bake bites) on the other days.


Pin It

15 comments :

  1. DEEEElish! I actually really like prunes. I know that makes me sound elderly, but I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GF I love prunes too, no worries. Gina these sound great. No-bake even better. 1/16th recipe =1 of these or 2?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh these look GREAT! What a fabulous snack idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm - looks great! Plums deserve more love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay! your version looks great! i love making banana stuff because i know my hubby won't eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I too am a sucker for ANYthing combined with nut butter, so these sounds awesome. Will have to give them a try, and I like the plum idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love no-bake cookies! I make a simple one with oats, pb, honey and graham crackers. Nice use of the dates. :) So easy and satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that ingredient list and they look delicious! Most no-bake stuff isn't so pretty...but these are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm SO glad I came to your site today! I've been searching for a no bake cookie recipe without added sugars or at least LOW sugar. This is perfect! I will have to test it before getting the kids to make it, but it looks fantastic! I'll prolly use PB though (for cost purposes per my supervisor!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is going to seem like a really silly question, but is there a difference between dried plums and prunes?? Or, is it just a marketing thing, as in, dried plums sounds more appealing than prunes?? Either way, these sound yummy to me, and I'd definitely love to try them. With chocolate of course!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess mixing all these yummy ingredients can't get anything that does not taste amazing! :)
    I crave carbs in the afternoon, so I've been having a instant packet of Quaker oatmeal at work. if I'm at home, I'll do a mix of yogurt berries and fiber one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. At first I thought these might be similar to a no-bake freezer cookie I've made before which is also rolled into a ball, but this is really different - especially since you melt the PB and chocolate together. I'm afraid I'd just stop the whole thing and start eating that delicious mixture on it's own! Seriously though, I must try these. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy and tasty recipes. Foods like these is a great way to turn away from foods ridden with preservatives and saturated fats. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete