Friday, February 1, 2013

How Do I Make Kale Taste GOOD in a Smoothie?! (FAQ Friday)

This past summer I learned a really great secret about kale and smoothies.  I was talking to my neighbor about how I try so hard to enjoy kale in smoothies, but I can't.  Spinach blends so well and fits into smoothies like a charm, but I want to enjoy kale in smoothies too, because kale contains less oxalates (which can reduce calcium absorption) and it also may positively effect serum cholesterol levels (this is especially true for steamed kale).  I also want Nick to get some kale in his diet, but kale is impossible to hide in a smoothie because it has a slightly bitter taste that can make a good smoothie unpalatable.


So...what's the secret?? FREEZE YOUR KALE!  Yep, you read that right, freeze it.  Take a freezer bag and put a head of washed, dried, and chopped kale into the bag, and allow it to freeze for at least 10 hours.

After that you can add it to your smoothie just like normal.  I promise you it will be less bitter and slightly sweeter!  Now you can feed yourself and your loved ones kale (both young and old), and they won't taste the bitterness in their sweet fruit smoothie. And what's not to love about kale? Aside from its ability to bind bile acids and help you excrete them (along with cholesterol), it's also been shown to have some anti-carcinogenic properties, reduce chronic-inflammation, and is an excellent source of vitamins K, C, and beta carotene.

Here is your "all fruit smoothie" Nick.....Muahaha

The smoothie in the picture above contains 1 large handful of frozen kale, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1 banana, and enough unsweetened vanilla almond milk to cover the ingredients.


And sometimes the smoothie just looks ugly.  In that case, put it in a pretty martini glass, it helps :)

Aside from frozen kale and fresh spinach, two other vegetables I love to add to smoothies are pumpkin puree and cooked sweet potato.  Both are delicious additions to smoothies and add great texture and natural sweetness.

QUESTION:  Do you ever add veggies to your smoothies?  Have you ever tried frozen kale in your smoothies?


Next week I'll be posting a delicious citrus kale salad recipe.  So, I hope you love kale as much as I do! Until then, I'm off to work for the day then tomorrow Nick and I are off on a romantic trip up north.  Yep, we've got a heart-shaped jacuzzi in our room.  HA!  I'll be sure to post pics on INSTAGRAM (The Candid RD)!



Thanks for reading, and enjoy your weekend!

The Candid Rd
NOTE: I love comments!  But, be sure to come back to read any replies to questions or comments, as they do not go directly to your e-mail.




14 comments :

  1. this is such a great tip! I'll definitely have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I add a lot of kale to my smoothies, but I have never heard of freezing it. I actually don't mind the taste in my smoothies, but hubby and the kid don't care for it too much, so I'll definitely give freezing it a try!

    One of my favorite smoothie combos is Swiss chard, blueberries, a banana, water, a little stevia and a lot of cinnamon. Sooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so crazy you're writing about this tip... I just saw on a PBS cooking show that if spinach and kale go through a frost while still growing, they end up tasting sweeter because the sugar gets concentrated in the leaves! Guess the same thing happens in your freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats an awesome Idea! I never thought to freeze my kale. I love to add in all kinds of veggies though, spinach is a personal fav. Ive been eating kale chips like a mad woman though but maybe I'll take a break and add them in my shakes instead. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been making The Hulk in the morning: spinach, 1/2 avocado (preferably frozen), 1/2 banana, coconut water (just enough to blend), chocolate protein powder and flax seed. Delicious. I am going to try it with kale next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yum!! I love the idea of an avocado in a smoothie.

      Delete
  6. I hope you and Nick have fun trip! :)

    I've never heard of freezing kale before putting it in smoothies - genius! I'll have to try that! I love kale in smoothies and I've found baby kale works really well. Peter still doesn't like it because he has the tastes buds of a supertaster, but I'll have to try the freezing trick. Love the martini glass :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see that research the other day, about how if you are a "supertaster" and have a sweet tooth you have a higher risk for heart disease? But, if you are jus tONE of those, you don't. haha, it was interesting..... Nick and I have sweet tooths, but we aren't supertasters, we LOVE the cruciferous veggies!

      Delete
  7. Hmm, I've tried spinach in my smoothie, which I loved but hurt my stomach... maybe I should try kale and see how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gina, oh you sneaky thing! Love the note to Nick with the heh, heh. Also love the martini glass stylin'. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i've honestly never had kale in a smoothie before hahah - i always go with spinach! i just love kale like baked or in dishes but usually steer away from it in smoothies - i guessss i'm going to have to try it over the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never thought to freeze kale for smoothies before. Interesting. I must say, my favourite smoothie green happens to be collards. Although, now that I have a kick ass blender, it does an excellent job with all greens, so I bet even fresh kale will be fine.

    Speaking of kale - I just got a kale cookbook to review, and made some pumpkin kale cheddar scones from it tonight. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We buy kale in bulk and freeze it in smoothie sized servings, but I've never had an issue with fresh kale. My Ninja blender is pretty awesome at grinding things up.

    Most mornings for breakfast, I use a small amount of OJ, a banana, a handful of blueberries, a handful of any red berry, two giant handfuls of kale, and PB2, which is a powdered peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love PB2!! In smoothies it rocks. I've never tried it with the kale though, I think I like that idea!

      Delete