Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Clean Eating Feast! Sesame Seared Tuna, Mint Carrot Salad, Yogurt Avocado Dip, and Homemade Ice Cream

Recently Nick and I had our good friends Cathy and Rob over for a Clean Eating feast! Cathy actually bought me a subscription to Clean Eating Magazine a few years ago, so I thank her for introducing me to all of their amazing recipes.  The menu consisted of the following.....


I took these photos around 8pm, and it was starting to get dark.  They aren't the greatest, but I'll tell you what, the meal was amazing if I do say so myself!




Appetizers

Raw and Organic White Cheddar Cheese
Whole Grain Crackers

Artichoke Dip with Greek Yogurt (Cathy made this!)
Raw veggies to dip into the artichoke dip



Salad

Shredded Carrot Salad with Mint



Side

Purple Potato Fries with Avocado and Lime Dip



Entree

Sesame Seared Ahi Tuna



Dessert

Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream with Homemade Whipped Cream and Fresh Organic Strawberries



INSTAGRAM!
The Candid RD


What? Want the recipes?  Ok!  Here you go (all from Clean Eating Magazine).....


Shredded Carrot Salad with Mint
Serves 4
low FODMAPs 

Ingredients
3 large carrots, peeled and shredded
10 leaves fresh mint, finely chopped
Juice of 1/2 orange
Sea salt, to taste
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided, plus additional oil is needed
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (or more if you like spicy!)


Directions

In a medium bowl, combine carrots, mint, orange juice, salt, 1/4 cup oil and pepper flakes.  Mix well and marinate at room temperature for 5-10 minutes (or over night).  Top with fresh mint for garnish.

Serve with the sesame seared tuna (recipe below)




INSTAGRAM!




Purple Potato Fries with Avocado and Lime Dip
Modified slightly from a Clean Eating Magazine recipe
Serves 4-5

Ingredients


5 small purple potatoes (or 2 large purple sweet potatoes!)
2 egg whites
2 tsp. chile powder
1 ripe avocado
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 cup loosely packed cilantro
2 cloves garlic 
2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp. sea salt

Directions
1.  Mist an ovenproof wire rack with olive oil cooking spray and arrange over top of a baking sheet.  Slice the potatoes into evenly-sized fries (I used a fry cutter, as you see below.  These things work like a charm).  Toss fries with egg whites and chile powder.  Arrange in single layer on rack and mist with cooking spray.  Bake at 450 degrees until slightly browned.

2.  Next, in a food processor, puree the avocado (peeled and pitted), yogurt, garlic, lime, salt and cilantro.

3.  Dip the fries into the avocado dip.  And enjoy every delicious bite.










This is my new favorite avocado dip!!  Oh my gosh, it was amazing.  It's not, however, low FODMAPs.  I think it's so sad that avocado aren't low FODMAPs, but I still enjoy it in smaller quantities (about 1/4 cup max, per sitting).



INSTAGRAM!
The Candid RD

Sesame Seared Tuna
Serves 4

Ingredients

5 Tbsp. sesame seeds
16 ounces skinless, sushi-grade tuna fillets (such as ahi)
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste



Directions
1.  On a large plate, spread sesame sees.  Season tuna with salt and black pepper, to taste.  Press both sides of each tuna fillet into sesame seeds.  

2.  In a medium skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. oil on high.  Add tuna fillet and cook undisturbed for about 2 minutes.  Turn and cook for an additional 2 minutes to desired doneness.

3.  Serve on top of carrot salad if you'd like!



The purple potato fries aren't burned, even though they look it.  That's just their natural purple color. Not really pretty, I'll agree, but definitely tasty (especially with the avocado dip, which is my new favorite summer dip, by the way)




Dessert was my own recipe;  lower-sugar vanilla ice cream (2 cups chilled half and half, 1 cup vanilla almond milk, 2 tsp. vanilla extract, and 3/4 cup sugar.  Mix well and allow the sugar to dissolve.  Add to a prepared ice cream maker and churn for ~20 minutes).  We added strawberries and homemade whipped cream on top!




Of course, this was my favorite part of the meal :)


INSTAGRAM
The Candid RD



QUESTION:  What do you think about my first official "themed" dinner?! What would you make for a Clean Eating feast?


Thanks for reading.

The Candid Rd





NOTE: I love comments!  But, be sure to come back to read any replies to questions or comments, as they do not go directly to your e-mail.


3 comments :

  1. Ooh, I want to make those purple potato fries with dip! Thanks for sharing all these recipes - they are a perfect clean eating feast! Also, I think your pictures turned out great, even though it was getting dark. I couldn't tell at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made the avocado dip - mind blown!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have totally loved to be at that dinner. I'm gonna have to remember that avocado dip for later, because it sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete